Google
 

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

But still... ... Dasi??? of all things??!!

if(dasi_who??.read== 'false')
{
suggest.read==dasi_who??;
proceed++;
}

well... after giving you a picture of who i am, let me tell you something about my nick name - dasi... you may ask, why i am so fixated about my name - afterall there's that cliched statement "what's in a name anyways..." .
But i believe more, in the what my "God", the great Dale Carnegie, has to say about a name - "Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language." i believe this...

i've been called dasi - as best as i can remember - for more than 10 years now. I faintly remember that it had its origins in my primary school - sixth std, to be precise. I used to have this (which i now acknowledge) 'bad' habit of burping a lot, especially after meals and having cold drinks. My friends used to chide me for this, but i used to be like " c'mmon guys... u act as if i just f***ted" - and trust me, half of them used to actually rebuke, that this was worsei!! That was when they christened me "Gassy"

I used to feel indignant that my friends had a problem with that 'harmless' (:-)) habit of mine... probably that was coz i was almost never at the receiving end :-P ... But then, i would feel mighty embarassed when i would be called by that name in public - for the simple reason that, almost everyone used to think that i was called so for posterior reasons than anterior :-(

That was reason enough for me to try and give up that 'harmless' habit of mine... and slowly but steadily i (almost!!) got rid of it. After that, i took umbrage to the fact that my friends still continued to call me by the old name... After constant bickerings from my side, someone (If i remember right, it was my friend Sukhadev) changed it to 'dasi' ... The best reason i can think why that name just stuck and became popular with my friends, was that probably that it was quite a natural and smooth transition from the old name...

Over the time, the name has become such an integral part of me, that many of my friends parents too call me by that name. some don't even know, or bother to remember my real name.. i'm not exactly complaining... i must confess i too luv that name.. I have always felt, being called by a nick name, was always more intimate than being called by your true name!!

So, although the name is Subhash - the man is, and will always remain the dasi!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ek pyara sa movie kahe nahi nikaltha apne is pyare se love story pe.... :) hmmm....nice story with a happy ending i believe DASI:).. but ya true... people love their names and they love to hear it more often...in fact i feel awkward to call you by name SUBHASH ..Not used to you see...dont blame me:)Now i guess you know who is speaking:)BUT ya YOU ARE THE one ....THE DASI...always be the ONE.. :)

Subhash said...

thanks 'anonymous'... i very well know who's speaking :)

sowmya said...

Hi subhash oh sorry, even from today onwards i will also call u by your nick name 'DASI'...
what a superb explanation about yourself & ofcourse about your nick name. infact i didnt knew about this reason,since i joined u guys only after my 10th na...
anyways good to read these pages which will remind us our good old days...