Google
 

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Book review: Khazana of Indian Vegetarian Recipes

Name: Khazana of Indian Vegetarian Recipes

Author: Chef Sanjeev Kapoor

Publishers: Popular Prakashan

Price: Rs 225

My rating: 4/5


Sanjeev Kapoor – I doubt there’d be any connoisseur of food, who’d not know this name. The name itself has been synonymous with mouth-watering food, in India, for quite some time now.

Sanjeev Kapoor is arguably the best Chef of India – not just for the thousands of superb recipes he has concocted over years, but more so, for the repute and esteem he has brought to the art and science of cooking, by his innovative efforts. The credit for invoking interest and charm in the profession as a Chef, to a great extent, goes to him, and his immensely popular TV cookery show “Khana Khazana”. Ask the hotel management grads of today, and many of them would prefer becoming the next SK, than just hotel managers.

This book was my birthday gift from my sister. She knows perfectly well, where my heart lies!! :-) And it definitely was one of my best gifts I have received in years! But this review is still, of the book, and not my gift!!

The book has recipes categorized under six sections – Soups and Salads, Snacks, Vegetables, Accompaniments, Rice and Rotis and Sweets. All of which, you’d definitely be tempted to try out, and eat. The style of explanation of the recipes, is trademark Sanjeev Kapoor – simple and articulate – that infuses confidence in even the novice cooks, to be able to make a good job of one of those complex-looking recipes.

I’ve tried just a few recipes from the book to date, and couple of them already top my all-time favorite list – Gobi musallam and Beetroot raitha… And I’m very sure, the rest would join that list soon.

The Verdict: A must have for your kitchen. A gem of a book!

PS: Sanjeev’s non-vegetarian recipes are published in another book. And I’d really love to get that book as a gift too. Is someone listening??! :-)

1 comment:

Dinesh Sharma said...

I will appreciated and also want know more recipes please post some Rajasthani Recipes.....i would like to surprise my sister on her coming b'day